HSEQ & Quality Policy
HSEQ & Quality Policy
At PARCO, we believe, Company’s long-term business success depends on our ability to continually improve HSE performance by protecting people, including stakeholders, assets, environment & reputation of the Company. Therefore, towards our Vision of “Zero Harm”, Health, Safety and Environment matters are considered as an integral part of our business processes and shall be duly taken into account for guiding our behaviors, actions and decisions for achieving HSE excellence in all operations covering Hydrocarbons Refining, Transportation Services, Storage & Marketing.
Commitment and Compliance
- Health, Safety and Environment are considered at par with productivity and profitability, when making business plans and decisions, as we hold ourselves accountable for HSE compliance in our Engineering, Operations, Products & Services.
- We comply with all applicable national and international standards, legal (statutory & regulatory) obligations and World’s best practices relevant to Health, Safety and Environment in our areas of operations.
- The Company shall strive to introduce state of the art technologies, systems & practices to maintain all operational risks in ALARP (As low as Reasonably Practicable) range.
- We ensure to promote positive & proactive HSE culture, with adherence to this policy, and HSE Management System by employees, contractors, and service providers.
Performance and Risk Management
- We improve HSE competencies of employees and stakeholders to complement their good performance.
- Specific HSE goals and objectives are set for all levels of hierarchy to continuously improve the Organization’s HSE performance.
- We implement Risk Management techniques to identify, assess and mitigate all risks to acceptable levels in our Projects & Operations.
- We strive to minimize Environmental Impact of our Projects & Operation through Environment Management System and techniques in compliance to local and International laws. We encourage efficient use of energy and natural resources.
- Ensure Organizational readiness to manage emergencies / accidents through efficient & effective Emergency & Crisis Management protocols for business continuity and to safeguard Company’s reputation.
- Ensure & encourage all hazards, near miss & incidents are reported fearlessly in a positive manner, duly investigated & actions generated are closed meaningfully in set timelines to avoid recurrence.
- We shall remain focused on health of our employees & contractors through provision of healthy working conditions, work life balance, health promotion initiatives and medical services.
- We shall strive to further improve our performance of Process Safety & Asset Integrity to control major accident hazards.
- We actively engage in stakeholder dialogue and manage our social impacts on communities around.
PARCO, towards its Vision of operational excellence, place Quality Assurance & Control as an integral part of Corporate governance through leadership commitment for continual improvement in all its value chains and functions covering Hydrocarbons Refining, Transportation Services, Storage & Marketing business. Therefore, We commit to:
- Ensure adherence of this policy and of Quality Management System (QMS) by all stakeholders including employees, contractors, and service providers,
- Comply with all applicable statutory and regulatory requirements along with Certification of ISO 9001,
- Ensure specific key performance indicators and Quality objectives are set for all levels of hierarchy targeting continual process and procedural improvements to evaluate and monitor performance of product and services,
- Achieve customer satisfaction through stringent quality assurance standards for in-time delivery of products and services,
- Establish systems to adhere applicable Quality standards in project life cycle from concept, design, manufacturing, construction to commissioning stages,
- Follow Risk Management based approach in decision making & execution process in the Company at each and every level,
- Develop plausible maintenance management & inspection philosophies and strategies for sustainable Asset Integrity to safeguard our facilities from premature deterioration,
- Establish strong supplier relationship for getting better value for money in procurement and contracting through fair, transparent and ethical practices,
- Promote Quality Culture in all operations, services and relationships through continual education, training, awareness and sharing of best practices,
- Conduct periodic reviews and assessments of the QMS to ensure its continuing suitability and adequacy.
PARCO HSE Management System
PARCO prioritizes the well-being and safety of its employees and all stakeholders, recognizing that Health, Safety, and Environmental (HSE) concerns are the responsibility of everyone involved. However, ultimate accountability lies with the Line Management. To ensure adherence to HSE standards, PARCO has established a comprehensive Health, Safety, and Environmental Management System (HSEMS). This system provides a structured framework for effectively managing HSE throughout the company and its subsidiaries.
The HSEMS acts as a guiding umbrella for all safety-related initiatives within PARCO. It encompasses the conceptualization, implementation, and evaluation of these initiatives to achieve the following objectives:
- Clearly defined HSE goals, targets, and expectations, along with assigned roles and accountabilities.
- Cost reduction and improved business efficiencies, leading to operational and HSE excellence.
- Systematic improvement in feedback and measurement processes, fostering a culture of transparency across the organization.
- Active participation and mobilization of leaders and the workforce, ensuring a clear direction toward challenging goals.
- Enhanced teamwork in decision-making and the execution of HSE tasks.
PARCO’s HSEMS is built upon the foundational principle of “Leadership & Management Commitment.” This reflects a cyclical ISO system of continuous improvement, following the “plan, do, check, act” (PDCA) process.
The HSE Management System (HSEMS) at PARCO can be visualized as a “Tree” composed of 12 elements derived from the major areas outlined in the HSEQ Policy. Each element sets specific objectives and expectations, which must be met during the planning, management/execution, monitoring, and evaluation of daily company operations.
1. PARCO's Commitment to Environmental Stewardship:
Environmental stewardship is a top priority for PARCO, known as the Energy Lifeline of the Nation. The company upholds the highest environmental standards by implementing thorough and stringent monitoring across all operations. PARCO continuously endeavors to introduce clean fuel technologies and Environment Management Systems to contribute to the balance of the ecosystem. The ultimate objective is to eliminate any negative environmental impact caused by the company’s operations. At PARCO, the following measures are executed with meticulous care:
- Transportation of crude oil from Keamari Port in Karachi to the Mid-Country Refinery (MCR) in Mahmood Kot is carried out through 864 km pipeline, which is approximately 740 ft. above sea level. This pipeline ensures environmentally sound transportation of crude oil to the MCR.
- PARCO was the pioneer in Pakistan to install a Diesel Hydro Desulphurization (DHDS) plant, producing High-Speed Diesel that complies with EURO III standards. This product enables EURO III compliant vehicles to perform efficiently with lower emissions.
- Environmental considerations were taken into account when designing and aligning oil pipeline routes, fully complying with the requirements of Federal and Provincial Environmental Protection Agencies (EPAs). No properties listed on the World Heritage List are impacted. For instance, PARCO rerouted pipelines around Lake Manchar at a significant cost to preserve the lake’s natural environment.
- PARCO conducts third-party groundwater monitoring (certified by Punjab EPA) twice a year in the areas surrounding PARCO Refinery to ensure the nearby community has access to safe underground water.
- At the MCR, PARCO sets specific targets in Metric Tons to monitor Carbon Footprints.
- PARCO ensures the use of CFC (Chlorofluorocarbon)-free refrigerants in HVAC and air conditioning units at the corporate level.
2. Waste Management:
Industries generate large quantities of solid waste, including hazardous and non-hazardous materials. As keeping waste on the premises for an extended period is not feasible, proper disposal in designated areas following appropriate procedures and mechanisms is necessary. Improper disposal of hazardous waste can pose risks to both people and the environment. PARCO firmly believes that scientific waste management is the ultimate solution for preserving the environment. In PARCO, solid waste disposal is conducted in a manner that does not harm the environment. The Waste Management System at PARCO follows the guidelines set by EPA Pakistan and US EPA CFR codes. State-of-the-art waste storage facilities have been provided at the MCR, and the waste system is controlled through standard operating procedures. Regular audits, specialized audits, and training sessions are conducted to ensure the proper functioning of this system. Hazardous waste is disposed of annually through EPA-approved third-party vendors, selected through an open bidding process that includes stringent evaluation criteria to fulfill all legal requirements. These criteria include:
- EPA NOC for Disposal of Hazardous Waste.
- Safe handling and transportation methods and statements for hazardous waste.
- Incineration through an EPA-approved facility.
- Recycling of used lubricant oils through a government-approved reclamation plant.
- Ensuring worker safety during the handling of hazardous waste.
- Compliance with necessary packaging and labeling requirements.
- Provision of Waste Disposal/Recycling Certification and undertakings.
3. Effluent Management:
PARCO’s Effluent Treatment Plant has a capacity of 340m3/hr. Waste water from the refinery is collected and undergoes skimming, neutralization, dissolved air flotation, aeration, clarification, filtration, and drying operations. These processes ensure that the effluent water is brought within the limits of Punjab Environmental Quality Standards (PEQS) before it is discharged into local drainage or reused for plants. If any parameter exceeds PEQS limits, the entire batch of effluent water is diverted back to a diversion tank with a capacity of 25,400m3 for reprocessing.
Compliance with PEQS is ensured by checking all contractors’ equipment. Regular checks and verification of effluents are conducted by third-party EPA-approved laboratories to meet PEQS requirements.
4. Air Quality:
The increase in greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions has accelerated climate change. PARCO has implemented the following precautionary measures:
- Ambient air monitoring is conducted twice a year at a distance of 1-2 km around PARCO’s Mid-Country Refinery (MCR) by EPA-certified third-party monitors. Parameters such as NOx, SOx, CO, and particulate matter are monitored.
- The impact on the environment resulting from the refining process is controlled through the treatment and management of emissions. Examples include the use of low NOx (Nitrous Oxide) burners and the removal of sulfur from fuel gases.
- Air sampling is carried out twice a year at the MCR to assess the impact of emissions on ambient air. The sampling is performed by a third-party laboratory accredited by the EPA, measuring variables such as NOx, SOx, CO, O3, and PM (particulate matter).
- Continuous monitoring of ambient air quality provides a comprehensive picture of the effects of stack emissions on air quality. The PARCO Mid-Country Refinery has installed an AQM-65 station to monitor ambient air quality on a daily basis. Parameters measured include CO, NO2, PM2.5, PM10, wind speed, wind direction, temperature, relative humidity, barometric pressure, light intensity, and rainfall, among others.